First time freezing Fresh Picked Cauliflower
First Time Freezing Fresh Picked Cauliflower
It may seem a little daunting to attempt your first time freezing any vegetable but believe me it really is very easy, takes a little time but once you have completed this task you will be so satisfied upon completion. The other aspect I enjoy about having the frozen cauliflower is the convenience of going to the freezer, grabbing out a bag of that frozen fresh picked cauliflower all ready to enjoy as part of a meal. So let’s get started on the steps to your first time freezing fresh picked cauliflower!
1.When picking your cauliflower be sure to choose heads that are tight, white and no brown spots, you don’t want limp heads of cauiflower. And we are on our way to First Time Freezing Fresh Picked Cauliflower.
2. Now it is time to prep the head by washing it and cutting off the leaves.
3. Cutting the florets. Cut the head of cauliflower up into florets, you want them around 1 1/2 inches in size.
4. Soak the florets in brine, fill a large bowl or the sink with cold water, 4 teaspoons of salt, soak for 30 minutes. This will rid your cauliflower of any insects. Rinse with fresh water and now it is time to start the blanching process.
5. Blanching the cauliflower, bring a large pot of water to a boil, place your florets in the water, enough water to cover them, blanch for 3 minutes, starting when you first place them in the boiling water.
6. Ice Bath, place the florets in a sink or bowl with water and ice for 3 minutes.
7. Freezing the cauliflower. I personally like to place my florets on a cookie sheet with a layer of wax paper and put them in the freezer for a couple of hours or until they are slightly froze, I do this because then when I bag them up they won’t stick together and I can just use as many as I want at a time. Then I will bag them up, either with zip lock freezer bags, that I squeeze as much air out as I can, or with a foodsaver machine. Make sure to mark your bags and date them.
I hope you enjoyed your First Time Freezing Fresh Picked Cauliflower!