My Easy Go To Meal
My Easy Go To Meal
Do you ever have trouble coming up with a meal, whether it be for noon time or supper time? As I have gotten older it seems to be more of a chore for me so today I want to share “My Easy Go To Meal.”
My Easy Got To Meal is what I fall back on whenever I just don’t know what else to make. Being my husband is really a meat and potatoes guy I always have potatoes on hand and because we are blessed by a couple of members in our church who raise beef and give us beef for a Christmas present, I always have beef available.
Hamburger Gravy, Mashed Potatoes and Corn. I freeze corn in the fall so thankfully I just have to go to the freezer and grab a bag of it. My Hamburger Gravy recipe isn’t anything special just a simple fry it up, add some onion soup mix, pepper and salt if needed, I do also add a little beef broth and Kitchen Bouquet (for coloring), then I thicken it up with cornstarch. Of course I peel, cut up and boil the potatoes until done and then mash them with the old fashion potato masher.
All these years I have been cooking and I did not realize that mashing your potatoes with a mixer make them gooey, of course if you go by what my grown kids say, I always used instant potatoes when they were growing up. I have become a whole lot more conscious of preservatives in foods, I really believe they have a lot to do with our unhealthy society.
Dress Up Your Mashed Potatoes:
- Did you know you can use cream cheese in your mashed potatoes? I have never tried this but I have had them before and they are good. http://www.marthastewart.com/319180/big-marthas-mashed-potatoes-with-cream-c?czone=entertaining/holiday-entertaining/side-dishes¢er=276958&gallery=856477&slide=319180
- Also I have had mashed potatoes with sour cream: http://www.centercutcook.com/the-best-mashed-potatoes/
- And why not dress up the mashed potatoes with some garlic and/or parsley? http://www.deliciousasitlooks.com/2012/05/restaurant-style-garlic-mashed-potatoes.html
- And for those of you that need a dairy free mashed potato try these. http://www.deliciousasitlooks.com/2012/05/restaurant-style-garlic-mashed-potatoes.html
A little extra tidbit, the health benefits of eating potatoes:
- Did you know they are an excellent source of Vitamin C?
- Also they have more potassium value then a banana. Potassium is a mineral that helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in our body cells, also can help to maintain normal blood pressures. Potassium is vital in transmitting nerve impulses and muscle contracting.
- Great source of Vitamin B6 & why do we need B6? B6 is one of the complex B vitamins, plays an important role in converting food into energy and helping the body metabolize fats and proteins. The B vitamins are also important for healthy hair, skin, liver, and eyes.
- And they are gluten-free!
Of course eating french fries and potato chips aren’t of the value of eating a baked potato, they add lots of fat.