Who’s Coming to Dinner Lasagna
I call my lasagna recipe, “Who’s Coming to Dinner Lasagna,” because when my kids were growing up and we were having company, Lasagna was pretty much the stand by meal, so if I made it without anyone knowing if we were having company without fail someone would say, “Who’s Coming to Dinner?” Lasagna is an easy meal to fix and add some garlic bread and a lettuce salad and there you are with one great time at the dinner table. I don’t remember ever having lasagna for a meal as a kid growing up and I don’t remember the first time I ever made it, but I know this I enjoy it every time I do make it. Time to make that Lasagna!!
Once your noodles are cooked and you have sauteed the onions, garlic & green peppers, added the ground beef and have that all cooked up, it is time to mix up your cheeses and get your sauce heated up.
Place that thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of your pan, then layer 4 noodles on top of the sauce and then 1/3 layer of the cheese mixture and 1/3 of the ground beef mixture. Repeat this layering process 2 more times.
Top your last layer of noodles with sauce and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, cover with foil and place in the oven and get ready to enjoy the “Who’s Coming to Dinner Lasagna.”
I am not the best for following recipes, my children will ask me for a recipe for something like Potato Soup that I have been making for years, actually my husband taught me how to make the soup and he didn’t have a recipe just did it by memory, so I am one of those cooks that just dumps as much of the ingredients as I think looks good and eventually tastes good! But back in the day when I was first married my husband and I bought a cookbook, it now is 45 years old and does definitely show it’s wear, I used it a lot, still do for a number of recipes.
Betty Crocker Cookbooks: http://www.bettycrocker.com/cookbooks
- 1 1/2 Ibs. Ground Beef
- 1 16 oz box of Lasagna Noodles (you will use 16)
- 1 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 15 oz Cottage Cheese
- 3 Cups Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tbsp Oil (Olive Oil)
- 1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Large Garlic, minced
- 48 oz. Spaghetti Sauce (flavor of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Note: I used my own canned spaghetti sauce)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. 9 X 13 Pan
- 1. Cook noodles in large pot for 10 minutes, when noodles are fully cooked cool with cold water so that you can handle them.
- 2. In a large pan, add olive oil, chopped onions, minced garlic & chopped green pepper. Saute until onions are translucent.
- 3. Add ground beef, cook until completely browned, drain fat.
- 4. In another pot add spaghetti sauce, oregano, basil, rosemary, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper, simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5. While spaghetti sauce is simmering, mix together the ricotta cheese, cottage cheese and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- 6. Spoon thin layer of sauce in bottom of 9" X 13" pan, layer 4 noodles onto sauce, top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- 7. Spoon 1/3 of the ground beef on top of the cheese layer, then thin layer of sauce. Repeat this 2 more times, then top with last 4 noodles, sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- 8. Cover with foil bake for 50 minutes, remove foil and continue baking. (these are approximate times, as every over cooks differently.)
- If you use the lasagna noodles that do not need cooking then you will of course eliminate step 1 and just layer your noodles in the pan. I personally prefer the noodles that you cook, I find you need more sauce with the no-cook noodles.
- Happy cooking, I hope you enjoy your Who's Coming to Dinner Lasagna!